Tuesday, April 18, 2006

A Mitzva in Time...A Nice Haredi Story

This afternoon, we went to the Kotel for Aliyah le-Regel (zekher le- for the purists). Afterwards, we boarded a very crowded 1 bus to return to the car. There was nowhere to sit. Next tome was sitting an elderly man (a Gerrer Hassid, to judge from his spodik). Next to him sat his grandson, a boy about nine. All around, were haredi kids sitting down with adults standing. It never occurred to any of them to get up for their elders, or to their parents to tell them to do so.

I said to my wife, not sotto voce, that it's amazing how they learn so much Torah and don't know how to fulfill mitzvot.

The grandfather obviously heard me, took his grandson on his knee and offered me the now vacated seat. The truth is, he put me in a spot. 1) I did not want my comment to be self-serving. 2) There were mainly older women around and I would normally offer them the seat. The problem was that if I did that, I'd be forcing the older man to get up. I decided to take the offer and I thanked the young boy for his gesture.

I always wonder when tokhaha is in place, and how to do it. [Pushing people till they hit you no longer works.] I'm glad that this time everyone learned a lesson, בנחת.

No comments: