Monday, October 17, 2005

Death at our Windows

Yesterday. three young Jews were brutally murdered for the crime of trying to get a ride home. One was recently married. One was a girl doing her national service. One was a fifteen year old boy. They were murdered by Palestinian 'militants.' They were murdered because, despite the warnings of security forces, the convenience of the Palestinian population trumps the security of Israeli Jews in every situation. You see,.there used to be soldiers at the Gush Etzion Junction. There used to be a restriction on private Palestinian cars on Rte 60. They were removed to support Abu Mazen, the commander of the group that this morning revels in its success, the Al Aksa Brigades of the Fatah. [Fatah means 'struggle' for Jihad in Arabic.]

Yesterday, the army discovered an unexploded Kassam rocket near the grave of Lilli Sharon. That's deep inside Israel. The rocket came from 'liberated' Gaza.

Yet, I am not surprised at all of this. I didn't expect anything different from the Palestinians. This is not because I demonize them. It's because I respect the fact fact that they have clear, principled ideas backed by centuries of Islamic and Arab history and tradition. For us it's a murderous, persecutory tradition. That, however, is beside the point. Long term collective memory works in allowing people to survive and thrive.

I am sick at the abject stupidity of the leadership of my country. I am sick of the ignorant panderings of the uneducated communisants (to steal phrase from Raymond Aron) of the so-called elites of my country. I am hurt and dismayed at the detached 'those poor people' attitude of too many bloggers (religious and non-religious) who live within the 1967 borders. I am no less hurt by the extremists who insist of reviving their credentials as messianic visionaries on the blood of these kids.

Tme to go out to the Sukkah and place ourselves in God's protection. (Provided, that is, that it doesn't rain.)

2 comments:

treppenwitz said...

I couldn't have said it better. This is not just a polite comment. I really, really tried to say it better, but after reading your post I realize that mine came up short.

Well said.

Anonymous said...

What if you're right in the short-term, but this is the only way (short of genocide) of shifting longer-term trends?