Friday, February 18, 2005

Letters of the Rav zt'l

I have been spending the little free time I have reading a wonderful collection of Rav Soloveitchik's letters, entitled: Community, Covenant and Commitment, (Toras HaRav 2005) and edited by my friend, Rabbi Nathaniel Helfgot. The letters reveal a passionate, engaged side of the Rav, while simultaneously providing highly suggestive ways in which his core philosophical ideas both developed and found concrete expression. Every letter is a gem, and the translations are first rate (though I wish they would have published the original texts in Yiddish and Hebrew.)

Of special note are the Rav's endorsement of Talmud study for girls, and his remarks about the mission of Einstein Medical School and the desired curriculum at RIETS.

6 comments:

Menachem Butler said...

What about the piece on "Orthodox Participation in the Bible Translation of the Jewish Publication Society and Communal Tercentary Celebrations" [p.109]?

Jeffrey R. Woolf said...

Chaqu'un a son gout....

Menachem Butler said...

After a bit of google'ing, I figured out what that means. OK.

Anonymous said...

It would have been easier to figure out if Prof. Woolf had spelled it correctly.

Jeffrey R. Woolf said...

Oops. Thanks for pointing that out. I was typing too quickly.

Anonymous said...

I left a comment here the other day, but apparently it didn't get through.
Did you get my mails? I didn't get anything back. I've been having problems sending and receiving e-mails, so I am wondering if that's the issue.